Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book Review: Darwyn Cooke, The Hunter (2009)



Sometimes I react to a graphic novel by mumbling “I guess it was pretty good,” and this is one of those times. Having come to graphic novels too late in life, I often feel cut off from enjoying the art form, and, as a Parker fan, I have a hard time understanding why someone would work so hard at illustrating a detailed outline of a Parker novel, unless it’s to exploit a market of people who would never read a not-graphic Parker novel. This adaptation is well done (I guess), and I enjoyed seeing how Darwyn Cook chose to illustrate Parker himself. The page where Parker’s face first appears is quite arresting—he’s sort of a cross between Clark Kent and the Manhunt apeman. His face is, I think, too pretty, but this may well change with Parker’s plastic surgery. So, curious to see how the post-surgery Parker looks, I do plan on reading the next adaptation in the series (I guess). Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment