Sunday, October 3, 2010

Book Review: Richard Stark, The Man with the Getaway Face (1963)



In the first Parker novel, The Hunter, Parker thumbs his violent nose at organized crime, thereby necessitating the getaway face. By the end of The Man with the Getaway Face, however, Parker knows that his new face will not be enough; sooner or later, he will have to deal with "The Outfit." Therefore, the second Parker novel seems rather like killing time until this showdown, but it's a pleasant way to kill some time. The Parker novels are the noir equivalent of cotton candy—and I mean that in the best possible way. Grade: B

3 comments:

  1. I just posted a review of this same book on my blog. I really loved it. btw, you are living my dream. I'm currently going to school to become a professor so I can teach this stuff! I'm really glad I found your site, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chad. I'm going to check out your site right now. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father Harry Bennett, painted the cover illustration. He did several Parker books back in the 60's.

    Tom Bennett
    http://www.tombennettart.com

    ReplyDelete