Wednesday, November 10, 2010

5 Quick Questions with Dave Zeltserman



Dave Zeltserman is probably best-known to noirboiled fans for Small Crimes (2008), Pariah (2009), and Killer (2010), his series of novels about men just out of prison. His most recent books include The Caretaker of Lorne Field and 21 Tales (both 2010).

1. What’s the first crime novel that you remember reading?

Well, not counting the Freddy the Detective, I was 13 when I read I, the Jury by Mickey Spillane, and that got me hooked on crime fiction.

2. Which crime novel have you read the most times?

Other than Hammett, I usually don't read any novel more than once. I did read A Hell of a Woman many times, but that was more to study how Jim Thompson did what he did with that book, although it is one of my favorites.

3. Black Mask or Manhunt?

Black Mask. I'm a huge Hammett fan.

4. John D. MacDonald or Ross Macdonald?

Ross Macdonald. I read all the Lew Archer's when I was high school, and early on wrote really bad Lew Archer-type stories until I found my voice. The first incarnation of what eventually became Fast Lane was written as a Lew Archer-like novel.

5. What’s the best novel by Dave Zeltserman?

My best published crime novel is Killer. My best published novel is The Caretaker of Lorne Field. My best novel (although still unsold) is something called Monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment