I shot ahead,
watching the mirror.
There were cars behind us,
but there was no way to tell.
There are always cars behind you.
"You know why I sent for you./?" he said/asked.Any theories as to what on earth is going on here?
Daniel WoodrellTomato Red1998
1. Charles Williams, A Touch of Death (HCC #17)
2. Ken Bruen and Jason Starr, Bust (HCC #20)
3. Lawrence Block, Grifter’s Game (HCC #1)
48. Madison Smartt Bell, Straight Cut (HCC #21)
49. Max Allan Collins, Deadly Beloved (HCC #38)
50. Stephen King, The Colorado Kid (HCC #13)
The Best Cover Award
Gregory Manchess for John Lange’s Grave Descend (HCC #26)
The Worst Cover Award
Robert McGinnis for John Farris’ Baby Moll (HCC #46)
The It-May-Be-Terrible-or-It-May-Be-a-Masterpiece Award
Russell Hill, Robbie’s Wife (HCC #29)
The Once-Too-Often-to-the-Well Awards
Lawrence Block, A Diet of Treacle (HCC #39)
Donald E. Westlake, Somebody Owes Me Money (HCC #44)
David J. Schow, Gun Work (HCC #49)
Richard Aleas, Little Girl Lost (HCC #4)
The Charles Ardai Award for Noble Publishing Projects